Hey hey, Day 2! Today is Serve ,and I feel like this is a tough one…
As mamas, we serve ALL DAY LONG, am I right?!
But most of the time, this is serving out of duty and obligation…I have to feed my kid and that laundry isn’t going to fold itself. Don’t get me wrong, all of the amazing things we do all day long counts, it just isn’t the service I’m talking about.
We can get caught in the mom bubble and be so focused on ourselves and the stuff we’re going through that we miss that there is a big world out there and other people are going through their own things! When we step back and serve someone else (as in put their needs ahead of ours), it gives us some perspective.
Not to mention, I’ve never helped someone else out and then thought, “well that was a waste of time!” NO!! I’m always so grateful that I had the opportunity to give to someone else.
But serving take a ton of time or money, right, I can’t do that…again, NO!! Serving can be so simple…
- Friend having a tough time, drop off a pint of ice cream or frozen pizza or bottle of wine
- Carry granola bars in your car to give someone down on their luck as you drive to work
- Give blood, you know you’ve been screening the Red Cross phone calls, just pick up this time
- Depending on the season, rake/shovel/mow for your neighbor. You’re out already…
- Send someone a card, like a hand written one
And if you do have a bit more time or money, there are a million amazing organizations that could use an hour of your time or your $20 donation. I will say that spending the time does a lot more for your heart than whoever you are helping, and go ahead and take that kiddo with you!
Let me know what you come up with!
Here are some ways to find service opportunities near you…